David Thompson Astronomical Observatory
Come and explore the David Thompson Astronomical Observatory at Fort William Historical Park!
Whether you’re a serious astronomer or a casual observer, you’ll find that the David Thompson Astronomical Observatory is a marvel of modern space science. Come and explore galaxies, nebulas, star clusters and planets like you've never seen before! We're located just minutes away from home!
The "Star Walk" experience:
- View the night sky from one of the largest telescopes in Canada. Live viewing through the telescope on clear nights will allow you to see breathtaking views of stars, planets, moons and nebulas. Even on cloudy nights the David Thompson Astronomical Observatory is sure to please star gazers with spectacular recorded and live views from telescopes around the world.
- Receive an introduction and orientation to the Observatory's giant 20" telescope, the Discovery Centre and Canada's most famous cartographer - David Thompson.
- Get up close with real meteorites and 3D maps of the universe.
- Participate in star gazing workshops and get "hands-on" with state-of-the-art modern equipment.
- If you're already an avid star gazer we are happy to allow use of the telescope pad and provide assistance for your own equipment.
- Adult $10.00
- Senior, Student and Youth (6-12 years) $8.00
- FREE admission for children 5 years and under
- Tickets are available in the Visitors' Centre 30 minnutes prior to program start time
- Please arrive early as late arrivals may not be accomodated until intermission
Open year-round Thursday through Saturday evenings:
October to February: 7:00pm to 9:00pm
March to April: 9:30pm to 11:30pm
May to August: 10:00pm to 12:00am
September: 9:00pm to 11:00pm
CLICK HERE FOR "STAR WALK" SCHEDULE
Group bookings and reservations:
For advance ticket purchase and group booking information please call 807-473-2344.