David Thompson Astronomical Observatory
Welcome to the David Thompson Astronomical Observatory
Whether you’re a serious astronomer or a casual observer, you’ll find that the David Thompson Astronomical Observatory is a marvel of modern space science. Come and explore galaxies, nebulas, star clusters and planets like you've never seen before! We're located just minutes away from home!
The public is welcome to join us for a Star Walk! Thursday through Saturday evenings from 10:00pm to 12:00am.
The Star Walk experience:
- View the night sky from one of the largest telescopes in Canada. Live viewing through the telescope on clear nights will allow you to see breathtaking views of stars, planets, moons and nebulas. Even on cloudy nights the David Thompson Astronomical Observatory is sure to please star gazers with spectacular recorded and live views from telescopes around the world.
- Receive an introduction and orientation to the Observatory's giant 20" telescope, the Discovery Centre and Canada's most famous cartographer - David Thompson.
- Get up close with real meteorites and 3D maps of the universe.
- Participate in star gazing workshops and get "hands-on" with state-of-the-art modern equipment.
- If you're already an avid star gazer we are happy to allow use of the telescope pad and provide assistance for your own equipment.
- Adults $10
- Seniors, Students and Youth 6-12 yrs. $8
- Children 5 yrs. and younger are free
(HST included in all admission fees)
- Tickets are available in the Visitor Centre after 7:00pm on Star Walk dates. Tickets are also available in advance.
- Please arrive early as late arrivals may not be accomodated until intermission.
Group Bookings and Reservations:
- For advance ticket purchase and group booking information please call 807-473-2344.